This technique is from the last day of class.  It’s supposed to mimic photography when the image fades off in the background and becomes unfocused – think out of focus Christmas lights.  Inks are Hero Arts Shadow Inks.  Dots are an old wood-mounted set from Hero Arts.  Flower is from the Inkadinkado set called “Meadow.”  Sentiment is from the Hero Arts set called “Everyday Sayings.”   I really like this color combo even though it’s out of my normal comfort zone.  Thanks for stopping by.

Julie B, Bokeh Effect

Advertisements

Birthday Card

May 19, 2011

This is a birthday card for a friend of mine at work.  I got the inspiration from this StampTV video on using a brayer with rubber bands.  On the video, she brayered the rubber band marks onto the cardstock with Versamark and then heat embossed with gold embossing powder.  When I was all enthused to try this technique, I could only find one rubber band in our house!!  So, I dug up a stamp I have that looks like rubber band marks and used that instead.  The stamp is from Rough Lines from JudiKins.  I used coppper embossing powder instead of gold just to see what it would be like.  After the heat embossing, the color is added with Distress Inks.  I used nestibilities to make the scalloped and unscalloped circles.  One of the circles is also embossed with copper embossing powder.  The sentiment is from Inkadinkado.

I’ve also made a set of ATCs with the rubber band technique (actually my substitute stamp).

Thanks for looking!

I am working on a technique swap for Rubberstampchat.  I was exploring various places for techniques and ran across a technique for markers on black glossy paper at Ginger Snap Creations.  The link to the original tutorial is here.  I loved the photos at the end of the tutorial where she used metallic markers and water to create rivlets of color.  So, I decided I’d try that.  None of my attempts with metallic markers and water worked.  Here are a couple.  Interesting but not what I was looking for.

So, I scrounged around trying to find something that had a metallic sheen that might work on black glossy paper.  I settled on Brilliance archival pigment ink pads.  In most instances, I spritzed the paper with water first.  Then I applied one or more shades of Brilliance ink.  I mostly used Galaxy Gold, Platinum Planet and Crimson Copper.  After applying the ink, I spritzed more water on the paper to see what would happen. On some of them, I used a heat gun to speed up the drying process.  That resulted in the colors mixing together a bit more.  If you leave them to dry on their own, it takes a day or two, depending on how much ink and water you used.  I’ll post my ATCs when they are done.  Here are my black glossy, water and Brilliance backgrounds.

Thanks for visiting!!

Making Fabric Paper

February 26, 2011

I’m a lurker at Mixed Media Art Friends.  They are running a swap where participants make fabric paper using muslin, a glue/water mix, other papers, fibers, etc. and tissue paper.  I had seen fabric paper tutorials before but never had the chance to try it.  So, I joined the swap, and here are my first pieces of fabric paper.  Basic technique is to mix glue and water roughly 1 to 1, lay muslin on something plastic like a trash bag and cover with the glue/water mix.  Add thin paper, fibers, whatever you want.  Make sure this layer is imbedded in the glue/water mix.  Leave space between pieces where the muslin shows.  The theory is to make it thin, so  you can sew with it. Then add a layer of tissue paper on top and another layer of the glue/water mix.  Let dry (at least 24 hours – maybe longer).  Peel off the plastic bag, and you have fabric paper. Here is a tutorial with pictures from Belinda who runs MMAF.

For my pieces, I sprayed Twinkling H20 Radiant Rain (by LuminArte) while they were still wet – gave them a nice shine.  I think the next batch I make, I might wait to add the color until everything is dry or use less color so you could see more of what is going on underneath.

For this first piece, I used a paper towel that had been a backdrop while I was working on something else. It had lots of blues, greens and purples.  I tore the paper towel into pieces and layered on the muslin.  Then I added some blue sparkly fiber.  I used a Sky Blue Radiant Rain color over the top with a little bit of Solar Gold throughout.

For the second one, I used some wide ribbon with roses in various shades of red and pink, with some green mixed in, as the middle layer.  I put the pieces really close together, so very little of the muslin shows.  Cranberry Radiant Rain on top.

For the third piece, I was going for a vintage look.  I layered torn pages from an old book onto the muslin and then added some black circle stickers with letters on them.  I stamped large numbers in a rusty brown ink on the white tissue paper before I glued it on. (Numbers are hard to see in the photo.) The Radiant Rain layer is Bronze Medallion.  This is one that I would have added less color on top.  It’s hard to see the other layers.  But that bronze Radiant Rain is really nice!  Thanks for looking.  I’ll post whatever I make out of the fabric paper I get in the swap.